Sunday, February 24, 2013

Long Time No See

It's been awhile. And I'm okay with that. When I started this blog I was determined that I would not post just for the sake of posting, I would not feel pressure to post regularly. I would post only when I felt like it. I haven't felt like posting lately, but today I do.

Life has been moving through the days in it's usual, higgledy-piggledy way. Some ups, some downs. Some long days of nothing much really, and some crazy-busy days all in a row.

My first market for The Play Patch was last weekend. It was, to be honest, a bit ho-hum. I near killed myself with worry in the days leading up to it, and needn't have bothered, really. The 'market' was small, uninviting, poorly advertised and poorly attended. I sold a few bits and pieces, but mainly to friends. Still, it was a good experience, to be able to set up my stall and see what works, what I should change, what I will be needing more of before the next market, and so forth. I was very happy with how my little stall looked, and with the fruits of my frantic labour.

That same weekend, there was a big yard sale at the house next door to us. This house was owned by an elderly lady, who passed away about a year ago. The house has just been sold, and the lady's family put on a yard sale to sell all of her household and garden things. We have chatted over the fence with the lady's daughter and son-in-law a few times, and we were able to pop round and have a wander through the night before the yard sale to see if there was anything we liked. It was a strange feeling, really, and I knew that it must have been very bittersweet for the lady's family - relief at finally seeing an end in sight to all of the dealings involved in handling someone's estate, and grief at seeing a lifetime's worth of possessions of someone dear to them being laid out on tarps in the yard for strangers to pick through and carry away. It was hard to not feel like a bit of a seagull, but we found a few bargains. For less than $50, we ended up with this (plus a few other bits and pieces):

Considering we had been hunting for a secondhand angle grinder, and had been willing to pay up to $50, we feel we did quite well!

The girls have settled in to the swing of school days extraordinarily well, and I am so pleased. Gone are the days of the teacher's assistant wrenching a screaming and sobbing Miya out of my arms every morning, and me feeling like the worst kind of mother for leaving her there. She has a lovely group of friends, and, luckily for me, all of those friends have lovely mothers! She is currently attending in-school swimming lessons and her confidence is growing in leaps and bounds. She has also started after-school gymnastics lessons and it may be the biased mother in me, but I think she's a natural! Eden is into full days now of Kindy and there hasn't been a moment where she hasn't wanted to be there. She has taken to it like a duck to water. She declares she is friends with 'everyone' in the class and she is also quite popular with the Pre-primary kids, thanks no doubt to her sister!

In other news, we have begun (finally) redecorating another room in our house. The 'middle room' was once the old kitchen/meals area, before the extensions were added on, and now has no window or external facing wall. As the ceilings are asbestos, we cannot put a skylight in, so the room is very, very dark. This is fantastic in summer, as it stays quite cool, but in winter, it will render the room almost unusable. I am not a fan of having lights on all day. Unfortunately, most of the furniture we had in there was dark, heavy wood - our long table and benches, and two tall bookshelves. It was also wallpapered halfway up the wall with, ahem, hideous mushroom and gold coloured wallpaper. The previous owners were, I believe, going for elegant and classy, but only managed to hit tacky and garish.

The old wallpaper.
So, we have condensed my book collection down to one bookshelf (this was one of the last vestiges of my former, over the top materialism - it was very hard to say goodbye to all those books - that I never read) and have sold one of the heavy, dark wood bookshelves. We have put the table out on the deck with some mismatched cane and retro chairs where it is looking fabulous.

And we stripped the wallpaper off the walls ready for painting. A friend said to me, "Have you got the paint?" Er, no. We don't even have the money for the paint. But at least the wallpaper is gone!! In the meantime, Pinterest is helping me with my colour choices, made all the more difficult by the fact that the central piece of furniture is my beautiful, seventies', brown leather couch with mustard and brown cushions. I like a challenge!

The end result will be, I hope, a much lighter and more functional room.

My last bit of new is.... Brannen is walking!! It is still not his preferred mode of transport, but he is getting more confident daily.

I hope your weekend has been a fun one!


  1. nic,ur kids are so beautiful!wen do u guys come to melbourne?do u have accomodation sorted?

    ur play patch stall looks lovely,shame the market was fizzer...i have experienced similar things with performances that were just...mehh.its always a bit dissapointing after putting in hard work.

    luv ur new (old) couch.nice score.

    1. Hey Mezz,
      We come to Melbourne on the 19th of March.... concert is on the 20th (Nath's bday) in the evening and we are heading up to Jac's in Wangaratta on the 21st overnight (that's a Thursday). We fly out on the 23rd. So when can we catch up? Are you guys free on the Friday night? Or during one of those days? It's such a short visit, such a shame.
      Isn't the couch unreal?? A favourite! Most of my friends hate it :)

  2. well,most of your friends are...ahem...wrong.


Feel free to pop in here and let me know you are reading along!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...